Shepherd’s pie is one of those comfort foods from my childhood. My mom used to make it with ground beef, peas, corn, mashed potatoes and cheese on top. My recipe is a little different. It’s 100% plant-based and contains hearty veggies that fill you up and keep you satisfied.
It’s important to fuel your body with comforting foods in the winter time, especially if you somewhere icy-cold. Comfort foods are grounding and warming. Plant-based comfort foods in my vegan Shepherd’s pie recipe include:
- Winter squash
This recipe was inspired by Meghan Telpner’s UnShepherd’s Pie recipe from her The UnDiet Cookbook. One of the best parts is the gravy on top. Get that gravy recipe from Meghan on her website.
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Squash
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 1 large parsnip
- 3 large carrots
- 4-5 mushrooms of choice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 +1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or less)
- 2-4 Tbsp brown rice flour (or arrowroot/almond/buckwheat)
- 1/2 cauliflower (about 2 cups chopped)
- 1/2 cup dry lentils, rinsed (soak overnight if you can!)
- 1 + 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp ghee (optional)
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Prepare the vegetables. Peel the squash and chop it into bite-sized pieces. Cut the carrots and parsnips into half coins. Finally, chop the mushrooms.
- In a medium pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the veggies and toss. Add the water and simmer uncovered for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the seasonings, stir, and simmer uncovered for another 8-10 minutes. Near the end, add 2 Tbsp of flour at a time to thicken. (Photo below is before the flour.)
- In a separate pot, add the cauliflower, lentils, and water. Bring the pot to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the lentils absorb the water and the cauliflower is soft.
- In the same pot, mash the cauliflower and lentil mixture. Add the ghee, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
- In a baking dish, spread the vegetables on the bottom. Spread the mashed lentils and cauliflower on top.
- Bake at 375°F for 35-40 minutes, until it starts to bubble and lightly brown on top. While it’s baking, prepare Meghan’s gravy.
- Let the vegan Shepherd’s pie rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve a slice as-in, or topped with a spoonful of gravy (highly recommended).
Look at that amazing plant-based goodness.