Breakfast is so important. Have a told you that before? Well, excuse me for being a broken record. Your first meal of the day sets the tone for the rest of the day and provides you with the opportunity to pack your body with nutrition.
In the morning, you wake up from several hours of sleep/fasting. Overnight, your body did a lot of repairing and is now craving important vitamins and minerals. To replenish your body and give it the strength it needs all day, your breakfast should include protein, healthy fats, and smart carbohydrates. In this Blueberry Millet [Power-Packed] Porridge, gluten-free millet is used instead of oats or rice. Blueberries are added for vitamin K, vitamin C, manganese and flavonoids — protecting against cardiovascular disease and cancer. Vitamins in blueberries also improve brain health, eye health and regulate blood sugar levels.
Other superfood, healthful ingredients are packed into my Stay Healthy, Stay Happy Protein Blend. You can add these ingredients by the tablespoon instead of you don’t have time to make the protein blend (it’s SUPER easy, btw).
Blueberry Millet [Power-Packed] Porridge
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup uncooked millet
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen [wild] blueberries
- 1/4 cup Stay Healthy, Stay Happy Protein Blend
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or raw honey*
*Sweetener: This is optional. See step #3.
**Toppings: Toppings are optional. Personally, I love the texture and crunch they add. Top each millet bowl with raw cacao nibs for antioxidant boosting power or unsweetened shredded coconut for flavor and healthy fats.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Toast the millet until it starts to become fragrant (nutty smell). Add the water and bring to a boil for 1 minutes.
- Reduce the millet to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15-25 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed.
- Stir in the blueberries and allow them to warm. Next, stir in your Stay Healthy, Stay Happy Protein Blend. The berries should add enough sweetness, but if you need more, consider adding 1 Tbsp of maple syrup or raw honey at this point.
- Transfer the millet porridge to a bowl and top with your toppings of choice. Enjoy!
Before you dive into breakfast, start your day with a big ol’ glass of water. Vitamins and minerals are either water-soluble (vitamin C and B vitamins) or fat-soluble (vitamins A, D, E and K). To get the most out of eat meal, include fats and ensure you are hydrated.
Disclaimer: These are my recommendations for eating healthful, whole foods. I am not a registered dietician, nutritionist or a doctor and therefore cannot diagnose, cure or offer supplement advice — only advise and advocate for eating more plant-based, whole food diets.