When I arrived in Berlin, one of my first objectives was to figure out the grocery stores and where I could find high-quality ingredients and superfoods. Lucky for me, that happened quickly. We live in Kreuzberg, which is riddled with organic markets and health food stores.
Nonetheless, one thing I couldn’t find on the shelves was a protein that I was familiar with. I was looking for a raw, plant-based protein blend like my favorite Garden of Life raw protein blend (which is available on Amazon Germany, luckily).
The Protein Base
In the spirit of “trying new things,” I figured I’d try a new protein and make my own blend. I bought a plain ol’ 100% pea protein — a protein that is raw, plant-based, and according to my research, easy to digest by most. What it was missing was fiber and essential fatty acids like omega-3s. To get those in, I added flaxseeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds and hemp seeds to my Stay Healthy, Stay Happy Protein Blend.
- Flaxseeds: Contain omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. Protect against cancer and heart disease. Also support digestive health.
- Chia seeds: Like flaxseeds, chia seeds contain omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. They are also a good source of manganese and calcium.
- Sunflower seeds: Contain vitamin E and B group vitamins. They also contain copper, manganese and selenium. Selenium help detoxify the body and provides antioxidant protection. Other benefits of consuming sunflower seeds include protecting against heart disease and reducing blood sugar levels.
- Hemp seeds: Great source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. The nutrients in hemp seeds are easily absorbed by the body and are good for your heart, brain, metabolism and immune system. Great nutty flavor and they blend well in smoothies and nut/seed butter spreads.
Stay Healthy, Stay Happy Protein Blend
- 1/2 cup pea protein (raw, unflavored)
- 1/4 cup whole or ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup raw hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- If using whole flaxseeds, place those in the food processor and process until they start to break apart. Add the sunflower seeds and process until a meal appears.
- Next, add the hemp and chia seeds to the food processor and process until those are well-incorporated.
- In a bowl or jar, combine your superfoods with your pea protein. Shake or stir until well-combined.
- To serve, scoop 1/4 cup of your Stay Healthy, Stay Happy Protein Blend into a smoothie, oats, muffins, or other recipe that calls for protein powder.
Disclaimer: These are my recommendations for eating healthful, whole foods. I am not a registered dietician, nutritionist or a doctor and therefore cannot diagnose, cure or offer supplement advice — only advise and advocate for eating more plant-based, whole food diets.