I made this smoothie at a Shake & Shake event in Boston Public Market. It is a simple and filling smoothie — and it fit into my red, white and blue-ish theme for Memorial Day.
The white smoothie was the creamiest out of the three and also packed the most protein. Dairy-free or vegan folks beware, this one has yogurt. If you are dairy-free, definitely consider making this with your favorite coconut, soy or almond milk yogurt. (I vote coconut milk yogurt!)
The rest of the ingredients are simple and add enough natural sweetness to even satisfy a dessert craving. To ensure you always have frozen bananas on hand, I advise buying a half dozen to peel, break in half, then store in the freezer.
For a filling meal, top this smoothie with berries and touch of granola for crunch. It makes a great smoothie bowl base!
Coconut Banana Smoothie
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp nut butter
- 2 dates
- 1 cup coconut water
- 2 Tbsp coconut flakes (for topping or blend in)
- If your dates are not soft, let them soak in water for 30-60 minutes before blending.
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender, starting with the banana and yogurt. Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Serve immediately. Drink through a straw or enjoy as a smoothie bowl base.