Go ahead, have dessert. I always save room dessert because, well, sweets make me happy. But, like you’ve heard from me before, dessert doesn’t need to be decadent and bad for you to taste good.
I’ve made black bean brownies before, but wanted to try something a little different this time around. These gluten-free and vegan sweet potato brownies are sweetened naturally and are actually good for you — seriously!
Give them a try and let me know what you think.
Vegan Sweet Potato Brownies
- 1 cup of mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup medjool dates
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 flax egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp almond milk*
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats, ground into flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4-1/3 chocolate chips of choice
*You may or may not need the almond milk depending on how thick your batter is. Sometimes leftover sweet potatoes loose some of their moisture making the almond milk necessary.
- Soak the dates: Grab a 1/2 measuring cup. Start by pulling the dates in half and removing the pits if necessary. As you go, place the dates in your measuring cup. once you have a heaping 1/2 cup, add the dates to a bowl with water and set aside for 30-60 minutes to soften.
- Cook your sweet potato: Microwave or bake 1 medium sweet potato with the skin on. Let cool and then peel the skin off ( — it should be easy). Mash the sweet potato and set aside.
- In a food processor, process the dates (drained from the water). Add the sweet potato and coconut oil. Transfer the processed ingredients to a mixing bowl. Fold in the flaxseed egg (or real egg) and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix the oat flour cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Fold the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. This is the point where you’ll know if you need the almond milk — add one tablespoon at a time until you are able to combine the wet with the dry. The batter will be thicker than regular brownies.
- Line a small baking pan (loaf pan or slightly bigger) with parchment paper. Spread the batter evenly using a spatula.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Time depends on how thick your brownies are.
- Cool your vegan sweet potato brownies completely before slicing and serving.