The hardest thing about making pico de gallo is chopping the vegetables. After you get over that hump, it is smooth sailing.
This simple pico de gallo recipe was taste-tested during my recent Om, Nom event. First participants got sweaty in a vinyasa-inspired yoga bootcamp class, then everyone tasted my newest go-to breakfast… savory oatmeal with pico de gallo.
Make it in your kitchen and tag #SHSHkitchen when you do!
Simple Pico de Gallo
Serves 8-10, 2 Tbsp servings
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut small
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow or orange pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 scallion stalks, chopped
- 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- The worst part is first: Chopping the tomatoes. After rinsing the cherry tomatoes, chop each one into 6ths or 8ths depending on size. Use your best knife and exercise patience.
- After the tomatoes are chopped, move onto the onion and peppers. Chop them just as small as the tomatoes.
- Add all veggies to a mixing bowl. Then, add the chopped scallions and cilantro. Combine well.
- Juice the entire lime over the bowl, add the sea salt and give your pico de gallo a toss.
- Cover and set in the fridge until serving time. Store it in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.