Pancakes are amazing — there’s no argument there (I hope). One of the best things about pancakes is that they can be vegan, gluten-free and dairy free and still taste delicious. These four-ingredient protein pancakes are the bee’s knees.
I’ve seen several protein pancake recipes on Instagram and the blogs I follow, but I thought I’d share my personal go-to. As always, you can add your personal touches, i.e. cinnamon, fruit, cacao nibs, honey, maple syrup, nut butter, etc. Opting for a breakfast that is a great mix of protein, healthy fats and whole grains keeps you full throughout the morning and prevents that crash you experience after a sugary meal.
- 1 banana
- 1 egg (vegans sub one flaxseed egg)
- 1/4 cup quick cook oats
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- In a small bowl, mash your banana. In the same bowl, scramble your egg (or add flaxseed egg) and combine it with the mashed banana.
- Add oats, protein powder and any extras (i.e. cinnamon, stevia or vanilla) to your bowl. Mix well to make sure protein powder is fully incorporated.
- Let the batter sit for 5 minutes so that the oats absorb some of the liquid. In the meantime, heat 1 tsp of coconut oil in a small skillet over medium heat. If using a non-stick skillet, feel free to skip the oil.
- Pour batter into heated skillet. Flip once the pancake starts to bubble.