When it comes to creating a good smoothie, it’s about including something frozen + something creamy + something slightly sweet. After that, the world–err–fridge is your oyster. For me, my base is almost always a frozen banana (creamy and cold), 1 cup of almond milk or coconut water and 1 tbsp of chia seeds. From there, I’ll usually add whatever greens I have on hand, plus some berries or flavor booster.
This particular mint cacao smoothie recipe came about for two reasons:
- I love raw cacao. (I buy TruVibe Organics.)
- My mint plant is out of control.
Raw Cacao Mint Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 4-5 fresh mint leaves
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp raw cacao nibs for garnish
- Place bananas, raw cacao, milk and other ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add more milk or ice to alter the consistency. Tip for freezing bananas: Peel, chop into 4s and freeze in a ziplock bag.
- Optional: If you need something more filling, add a handful of spinach, 1/4 cup oats, or 1/2 cup of berries, etc. Other good add-ins are more chia seeds, flaxseed, hemp hearts or a dollop of granola.