A long, long time ago, my friend Lauren brought some seafood seasoning back from New Orleans. After it sat near my stove for months, I finally put it to use in this gumbo.
Shrimp Gumbo with Apple Chicken Sausage
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or avocado oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 orange pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 yellow pepper , cut into strips
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 lb apple chicken sausage
- 1 + 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp gumbo filé powder OR other spicy seafood/gumbo blend
- 1/2 lb small shrimp, defrosted if using frozen
- 1 tsp chili powder or additional spicy seafood/gumbo blend
- 2 scallions, chopped
- In a large skillet or pot (something big enough for all the ingredients), warm vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onion, peppers, celery and tomatoes. Stir until soft, ~5-8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, chicken sausage and seasoning. Cook for another 2-3 minutes and then add the vegetable stock.
- While the vegetable stock simmers, toss defrosted shrimp with chili powder in a small bowl. Add the coasted shrimp to the gumbo pan/pot and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add scallions and serve over a bed of rice, whole wheat pasta, quinoa or other grain.