Cold weekends are for baking. The end. These brownies are vegan, gluten free and have a very unusual ingredient.
Black Bean Brownies
- 1 can black beans
- 2 flaxseed eggs (2T ground flaxseed, 6T water)
- 3 T coconut oil
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- Optional toppings: Cacao nibs and coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, mix 2T ground flaxseed with 6T water. Let sit for a five minutes.
- Drain and rinse black beans, then add them to a food processor and blend. To the food processor, add your flaxseed eggs and mix everything together until smooth (or as smooth as possible).
- In a mixing bowl, stir cocoa powder and baking powder together. Transfer beans and flaxseed into the bowl and begin to mix. Add softened coconut oil (microwave it for ~20-30 seconds), sugar, honey and salt. The batter will not be as thin as typical brownie batter, but thinner than frosting.
- Portion batter out into non-stick muffin pan (makes 12). Sprinkle your chosen topping on — I did cacao nibs and coconut, but chocolate chips or nuts would work! Bake for 20-30 minutes. You’ll know they’re done when the edges rise up and start to look crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes — otherwise, it all falls apart.
Photos: Mary Polleys