This recipe has five ingredients and tastes absolutely, positively delicious. Another bonus? It’s inexpensive! One 8 oz tub of Trader Joe’s Tahini Sauce makes 6-8 batches of hummus. TJ’s sells the tub for $2.99, Garbanzo beans at 89¢ and pre-made hummus for $2.99+. Did you do the math?
Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
Roast garlic: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Peel garlic cloves and wrap them in tinfoil with a drizzle of olive oil (about 1 tsp). Place them in the oven for 30-45 minutes. Check at 30, and if they aren’t golden brown and soft, continue cooking.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Optional step: Peel the skin off each chickpea for super smooth hummus. This is definitely a time consuming process — proceed with patience. If I do say so myself, it’s worth it. Put the garlic in the oven and sit down with your chickpeas.
- Put chickpeas, roasted garlic, 2 Tbsp of olive oil and 2 Tbsp of tahini into a food processor. Blend well, then add your lemon juice and continue blending. To reach your desired smoothness, continue adding olive oil 1 tsp at a time.
- Taste you hummus, and then add any seasonings you’d like (ex. salt, pepper or fresh herbs). In the batch pictured below, I added a little parsley.